Albert Einstein, Tom Cruise, Richard Branson, Orlando Bloom, Will Smith, Whoopie Goldberg, Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, Steven Spielberg, Kiera Knightly
to name just a few…
‘Famous Dyslexic’ is how they are described. But, not one let Dyslexia define them…
Actors & Entertainers, Athletes, Artists, Designers & Architects, Entrepreneurs & Business Leaders…
Dyslexia did not keep them from becoming all they wanted to be…
Sometimes a diagnosis of Dyslexia can be devastating for parents.
Sometimes it can be liberating…
No matter how Dyslexia is first perceived at the onset; how Dyslexia is handled from that point forward is crucial for a child’s success.
I can only speak from my knowledge and experience as a Dyslexia Therapist, so here are some of my suggestions for helping your child achieve successes:
- Celebrate child’s best, not school’s “best”
- Share the strengths of Dyslexia & focus on finding your child’s strengths
- Practice the Art of Receiving…
- receive Grace, as well as giving it
- be willing to receive help in areas you are not clear about
- receive your child just the way he was created & celebrate him/her
- Become your child’s best Advocate
- become and ‘expert’ about your child’s LD
- become familiar with the education laws in your state
- know your child’s rights to a Free and APpropriate Education
I would love to wrap this post up with an inspiring 6 min. video of The Honorable Bill Cassidy speaking at the Dyslexia Hearings, “The Science of Dyslexia” for the House, In D.C. September 18th. The true emotion he shows is an example of the impact the struggle of Dyslexia has on many families. He spoke for all of you. For a better tomorrow for children with Dyslexia. I love Bill Cassidy’s description of dyslexia to the committee:
Dyslexia robs the ability to read quickly and automatically & to retrieve spoken words easily, but it does not dampen creativity & ingenuity.
Some of best things we can do for our dyslexic children are instill & maintain a love for learning, focus on strengths & build their confidence.